Saag Aloo with Eddoes
We made a tasty Saag Aloo using eddoes instead of potatoes for a bit of a change and our farm grown micro coriander. (Eddoes are similar to yams for those who don’t know! 🙂 )
Also suitable for a vegetarian/ vegan/…wheat free/ gluten free/ paleo diet
2 potatoes or 3 eddoes cubed
5 handfuls of baby spinach
1 large onion
1 tsp micro coriander pesto (or regular chopped coriander)
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 tsp ginger chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1. Sizzle the cumin seeds in some hot oil and butter
2. Add the sliced onion and brown
3. Next stir in the coriander, garlic, ginger, turmeric, garam masala after a couple of seconds add potatoes/ eddoes and salt. Fry for 2 minutes coating completely with the spice mix.
4. Add 1/4 cup of boiled water (or water that reaches halfway up the potatoes) and cover
5. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through
6. Check after 5 minutes to make sure water is not drying out, if so add more water as needed.
7. When the potatoes/ eddoes are cooked through add the spinach and stir until wilted.
Goes great with our Kind Prawn Curry!