Jamie Oliver’s UK CEO Cook Off
Yesterday we were honoured to be part of Jamie Oliver’s CEO CookOff as part of his Food Revolution! We set up our stand at the stunning Old Billingsgate venue against the most beautiful views of London over the Thames. This was the first ever UK CEO CookOff which saw senior business leaders swap their suits for aprons, taking up frontline positions in the kitchen with some of the best chefs in the UK. They served a delicious banquet for hundreds of everyday heroes who work in UK schools and hospitals.
In the run up to the event, the CEOs (and their companies) fundraised for UKHarvest, who save quality surplus food from going to landfill and redistribute it to people in need. It will also be donated to food education schemes across the UK, via the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation.
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
- In the UK, 33% of children under the age of 18 are overweight or obese. Largely, this is simply because they’re eating the wrong things.
- We need to turn the tide on the obesity epidemic our country is facing and save our health care system, which is bursting at the seams. We need to equip our kids for healthy futures and make sure they know how to feed themselves properly – not make themselves sick.
- Meanwhile, malnutrition sits hand in hand with obesity. We’re battling the bulge while also watching many people in our communities starve. And it’s not for lack of food.
- The UK wastes 11 million tonnes of perfectly edible food and drink each year. We need to make sure this food gets to people who need it, instead of clogging up landfills.
- The CEO CookOff is attacking the three-way problem of obesity, malnutrition and food waste in one go. The money raised will go towards improving food education for 13 million children in the UK, will save edible food from being buried in landfill and help to redirect food to those who don’t have enough.
It was a fabulous night in aid of a very serious and worthwhile cause. We were proud to have our micro herbs at the top of the menu of the night prepared by such talented chefs. It was equally awesome to meet so many of our foodie idols including Atul Kocchar, Angela Hartnett, Mark Hix, Jose Pizarro and of course Jamie Olivier who made sure he mingled with everyone in the party atmosphere – even little old us! However we probably got a bit too close to Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall as you may have seen from our Facebook and Instagram pics as well as Emma Bunton.
We finally headed off at 11pm totally exhausted but totally buzzing from such an amazing event. It was fantastic to see everyone working together and having such a great time whilst humbling to meet the everyday heroes who hold this country together. Jamie really has done good and his ethics around food sustainability and food waste couldn’t be more up our street (or down our tunnel). Thanks Jamie for thinking of Growing Underground for the first ever UK CEO CookOff!